Merensky plantations comprise both Pine and Eucalyptus species, totalling ca 74,000 hectares across South Africa. Ours are the largest privately-owned plantations being managed on a sawlog rotation. Adhering to and often exceeding local and international standards for environmentally-sustainable forestry management practices, the Merensky plantations continue to provide the highest-quality timber to both the local and international markets.
The ca 60,000 hectares of Merensky Pine plantations extend from the Dargle forests of KwaZulu-Natal through to the forests of Baziya on the south-western slopes of the Matiwane range in the Eastern Cape.
Merensky is a pioneer of the only commercially-grown Eucalyptus in South Africa, with plantations extending to almost 14,000 hectares. Many decades of continuous genetic improvements have resulted in what are considered world-best Eucalyptus plantations.
All Merensky plantations carry the prestigious FSCTM * certification.
Within the Merensky Timber Group, three Forests Management (FM) Certificates apply which operate the following licence numbers:
- MERENSKY TIMBER LIMITED t/a Merensky Hardwood Limpopo - Licence No: FSCTM C010117
- HM TIMBER LIMITED t/a Berg & East Griqualand Forests - Licence No: FSCTM C013164
- SINGISI FOREST PRODUCTS - Matiwane Forests - Licence No: FSCTM C004849
There are also four Chain of Custody (CoC) Certificates which operate under the following licence numbers:
- SINGISI FOREST PRODUCTS - Langeni Sawmill - Licence No: FSCTM C111656
- SINGISI FOREST PRODUCTS - Singisi Sawmill - Licence No: FSCTM C111658
- SINGISI FOREST PRODUCTS - Weza Sawmill - Licence No: FSCTM C111662
- MERENSKY TIMBER LIMITED t/a Merensky Hardwood Processing Limpopo - Licence No: FSCTM C021216