Merensky plantations comprise both Pine and Eucalyptus species, totalling ca 69,000 hectares across South Africa. Ours are the largest privately-owned plantations being managed on a sawlog rotation. Adhering to and often exceeding local and international standards for environmentally-sustainable forestry management practices, the Merensky plantations continue to provide the highest-quality sawtimber to both the local and international markets.
The ca 58,000 hectares of Merensky Pine plantations extend from the Dargle forests of KwaZulu-Natal through to the forests of Baziya on the south-western slopes of the Matiwane range in the Eastern Cape.
Merensky is a pioneer of commercially-grown sawlog rotation Eucalyptus in South Africa, with plantations extending to almost 11,000 hectares. Many decades of continuous genetic improvements have resulted in superior Eucalyptus sawlog plantations.
All Merensky plantations carry the prestigious Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®)certification.
Within the Merensky Timber Group, three Forests Management (FM) Certificates apply which operate the following licence numbers:
- Merensky Timber (Pty) Ltd t/a Northern Timbers: Licence No FSC®C010117
- Singisi Forest Products - Berg & East Griqualand Forests: Licence No FSC®C013164
- Singisi Forest Products - Matiwane Forests: Licence No FSC®C004849
There are also four Chain of Custody (CoC) Certificates which operate under the following licence numbers:
- Singisi Forest Products - Langeni Sawmill: Licence No FSC®C111656
- Singisi Forest Products - Singisi Sawmill: Licence No FSC®C111658
- Singisi Forest Products - Weza Sawmill: Licence No FSC®C111662
- Merensky Timber (Pty) Ltd t/a Northern Timbers: Licence No FSC®C021216